Within the thriving sports, wellness, and medical hub of upstate South Carolina is North Greenville University’s Department of Health Promotion and Wellness, which prepares students for a variety of career paths within the fields of health promotion, education, and exercise and rehabilitative science. The Department of Health Promotion and Wellness (HLPW) offers diverse and flexible programs designed to provide students with the skills to help others promote healthy and meaningful lives.
The HLPW Program at North Greenville University offers a distinctive, innovative, and competitive program that attracts and meets the needs of students and the community.
In keeping with the NGU Statement of Purpose, this program seeks to enable students to integrate academic disciplines, Christian lifestyle, and an enriched cultural experience by offering relevant and current coursework with hands-on practicum and internship experiences that produce well-rounded health-promotion and wellness professionals for the future.
The program is broken up into 3 tracts: Exercise Science, Health Promotion and Education, and Gerontology. Specific courses for each tract can be found below.
All tracts Courses are designed to prepare students for top tier certifications listed below:
· Health Fitness Specialist (HFS), American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
· Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS), National Strength & Conditioning Association (NSCA)
· Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES), National Commission for Health Education Credentialing
· Certified Special Populations Specialist (CSPS), National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
· Functional Movement Screening (FMS-cert), Functional Movement Systems
· Senior Fitness Specialist (SFS), National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)
· Fitness Nutrition Specialist (FNS), American Council on Exercise (ACE)
What is Health Promotion and Wellness (HLPW Program Brochure)
Often people will ask, “What is Health Promotion and Wellness? and "What can I do with a Health Promotion and Wellness degree?” We’re glad you asked! Health Promotion and Wellness includes the knowledge of anatomy, physiology, biology, chemistry, psychology and biomechanics as it applies to human movement and exercise. Students will be equipped for a number of careers following graduation, while many pursue related graduate degrees.
Your Career and Graduate Opportunities
The Health Promotion and Wellness Program will prepare students for advanced study and career pursuits in becoming a(n):
· Physical Therapist
· Occupational Therapist
· Wellness Coordinator
· Public Health Professional
· Speech Pathologist
· Strength & Conditioning Professional
· Exercise Physiologist
· Physician Assistant
· Cardiac Rehabilitation Specialist
· Athletic Trainer
· Corporate Wellness Specialist
· Fitness Manager
· Health Educator
· Sport Coach
· Wellness Coach
· and other careers and health-related professional programs.
*Students interested in graduate or medical school should be aware of additional course work required for admission to these programs that may not be required for the Health Promotion and Wellness major.
HEALTH PROMOTION AND WELLNESS COURSE SEQUENCING
If you have immediate questions, feel free to contact:
Christine Haltiwanger (Department Chair) - 864.977.2911
Steven Pearce - 864.977.2914.
Dr. Jeff Williams - 864.977.2189