Scholarship Audition Dates
∑ November 7, 2015 8:45 AM
∑ February 13, 2016 8:45 AM
∑ February 27, 2016 8:45 AM
Undergraduate Degrees Offered:
BA in Church Music
BA in Music Education
BA in Music Performance
North Greenville University offers professional degrees within a strong liberal arts setting in music, church music, performance, and music education. Scholarships are awarded to music majors on the basis of auditions and are renewable each semester depending on satisfactory academic and music progress.
The Jeff Cranfill Scholarship is for North Greenville University music education majors whose primary instrument is a band or orchestral instrument, though instrumental proficiency is not the emphasis with this scholarship. The scholarship is to be awarded annually. The same student may receive the scholarship multiple times - provided they are the best candidate. It is not automatically awarded to the same person each year.
Click here for a PDF of the The Jeff Cranfill Scholarship application.
The audition is an opportunity to display your talent, ask questions about North Greenville's Music program, and meet the faculty. It is required that all prospective music majors audition for acceptance into the Cline School of Music. It is asked that students seeking music scholarships submit a letter of recommendation from their music teacher to the Chair of the College of Fine Arts prior to the audition. You should arrange your audition by completing the attached audition application form and returning it to Administrative Assistant of the College of Fine Arts at least one week prior to the requested audition date. Students are encouraged to bring their own accompanist; one will be supplied if requested. The School of Music will inform you of the results of your audition as promptly as possible.
A vocal coaching session is available with NGU voice faculty for anyone interested in pursuing a vocal music degree. Please contact the vocal department coordinator, Dr. Cheryl Greene at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Audition RequirementsAuditionees should be prepared to:
Piano: (memorization required)
- Play a movement from a sonata by Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven.
- Play a selection from Bach.
- Play a composition from the Romantic, Impressionistic, or Modern Era.
- Play major and minor scales, two hands, four octaves.
- Perform from memory two pieces of contrasting style, selected from sacred song, art song, oratorio, or opera literature.
- Vocalize and demonstrate musical memory.
- Taped accompaniments are not allowed.
- An accompanist will be provided if needed.
Brass, Woodwinds, Strings:
- Play two compositions in contrasting styles from the standard literature.
- Play scales or technical etudes suited to the individual instrument.
- Sight-read and play rudiments and scales.
- Demonstrate ability in at least two of the following areas:
- Snare drum (rudimentary and/or concert solo or etude)
- Keyboard (2 or 4 mallet solo or etude)
- Timpani (concert solo or etude)
- Drumset (basic styles and improvisation)
Students with no organ background:
1. Play major and minor scales.
2. Play one of J.S. Bach's Two or Three Part Inventions, a Prelude and Fugue from the
Well Tempered Clavier, or a work of similar difficulty.
Students with prior organ background:
- Play two pieces of contrasting styles
- Download a copy of the scholarship application (Microsoft Word format).
- Complete the application and email to Liz.Boehm@ngu.edu, or mail to:
North Greenville University
Attn: Liz Boehm
P O Box 1892
Tigerville, SC 29688
If you would like North Greenville University to provide an accompanist, please send a copy of the score at least two weeks before the date of the audition.