Dr. Noel Brownlee
North Greenville University
- Subspecialty Fellowship: Focus- Pulmonary & Genitourinary Pathology
- Oncologic Surgical Pathology Fellow & Faculty Assistant: Focus-Surgical Pathology
- Residency, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology
- M.D., University of South Carolina School of Medicine
- Ph.D., Experimental pathology (pediatric pathology/molecular pathology/tumor biology)
- Bachelor of Science: Focus- Biology
- Bachelor of Arts: Focus- Sociology
- Adjunct Professor
- Associate Professor
- Director of Medical Student Education
- Physician Advisor
CLINICAL PRACTICE EXPERIENCE
RESEARCH AND PRESENTATIONS
- Brownlee NA on behalf of the College of American Pathologists Residents Forum, Uniform Pathology Fellowship Application, Association of Pathology Chairs Annual Meeting, Colorado Springs, Colorado, July 2007.
- Brownlee NA, Jones L, Sheppard E. Identification of Common Pathogenic Fungi and Parasites in Histologic Sections. Course presented at the 31st Annual National Society for Histotechnology Symposium/Convention, September 10-14, 2005, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Brownlee NA. Molecular Pathology Techniques in Exfoliative and Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology. Course presented at the Annual meeting of the North Carolina Society of Cytology, Charlotte, North Carolina, October 27-29, 2005.
- Abbott C, Barry M, Brownlee NA. Almost everything you wanted to know about pathology boards, but were afraid to ask. Presented at the College of American Pathologists Companion Meeting, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, February 11, 2006, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Butnor KJ, Brownlee NA, Mahar A, Pavlisko EN, Sporn TA, Roggli VL. Diffuse malignant mesothelioma and synchronous lung cancer: A clinicopathologic study of 18 cases. Lung Cancer 2016; 95: 1-7.
- Li X, Brownlee NA, Sporn TA, Mahar A, Roggli VL. Malignant (diffuse) mesothelioma in patients with hematologic malignancies: a clinicopathologic study of 45 cases. Archives Pathol Lab Med, 2015; 139: 1129-1136.
- Klebe S, Brownlee NA, Mahar A, Burchette JL, Sporn TA, Vollmer RT, Roggli VL. Sarcomatoid mesothelioma: a clinicopathologic correlation of 326 cases. Modern Pathology. 2010; 23(3):470-479.
- Talbert ML, Ashwood ER, Brownlee NA, Clark JR, Horowitz RE, Lepoff RB, Otis CN, Neumann AR, Powell SZ, Sodeman TM. Resident Preparation for Practice: A white paper from the College of American Pathologists and Association of Pathology Chairs. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009; 133(7): 1139-1147.
- Netto GN, Wang W, Brownlee NA, Garvin AJ, Epstein JI, Argani P, et al. Topoisomerase IIA Status in Renal Medullary Carcinoma: Immunoexpression and Gene Copy Alterations of a Potential Target of Therapy. J Urology, 2009; 182(2): 735-740.
- Hoppman R, Michell WE, Carter JB, McMahon C, Lill PH, Brownlee NA, Carnevale KA. Ultrasound in second year pathology medical education. J SC Academy of Science, May 2009.
- Morita SY, Brownlee NA, Dackiw AP, Westra WH, Clark DP, Zeiger MA. Recurrent hyperparathyroidism and papillary thyroid cancer: an unusual case. Endocr Pract 2009; 6:1-16.
- Hoth JJ, Wells JD, Brownlee NA, Hiltbold EM, Meredith JW, McCall CE, Yoza BK. Toll-like receptor 4 dependent responses to lung injury in a murine model of pulmonary contusion. Shock 2009; 31(4): 376-381.
- Bachmann JM, Brownlee NA, Schiffer JT. Multisystem Mystery. Am J Med 2008: 121(5): 387-389.
- Brownlee NA, Kemper AE. Vascular leiomyosarcoma. American Society for Clinical Pathology Checkpath Continuing Medical Education Series, Am J Clin Pathol 131(2): 286-299.
- Hoth JJ, Hudson WP, Brownlee NA, Yoza BK, Hiltbold EM, Meredith JW, McCall CE. Toll-like receptor 2 participates in the response to lung injury in a murine model of pulmonary contusion. Shock, 28(4):447-452, 2007.
- Brownlee NA, Pettenati MJ, Koty P, Iskandar SS, Garvin AJ. Recurring Translocation (10;17) and deletion (14q) in Clear cell sarcoma of the kidney, Arch Path Lab Med 131(3): 446-451,2007.
- Benjamin P, Brownlee NA, Jain A, Alwood A, Dorman SE, Agwu A: Prolonged Diarrhea, Protein Losing Enteropathy, and Intestinal Perforation: An Illustrative Case of HIV-Associated Kaposi Sarcoma: The Internet Journal of Gastroenterology. Volume 5, Number 2, 2007.
- Brownlee NA, Beaty MW, Geisinger KR, Garvin AJ. Renal Neoplasms in Patients with Hemoglobinopathies, American Society for Clinical Pathology Checkpath Continuing Medical Education Series, published, Am J Clin Pathol, 129: 277.
- Bergman SL, Brownlee NA, Geisinger KR, Ward W, Pettenati MJ, Koty P, Ellis E, Beaty M, Kilpatrick SE. Diagnostic pitfalls associated with the cytologic features of the myxoid variant of monophasic synovial sarcoma, Diag Cytopathol, 34(11): 761-767, 2006.
- Hoth JJ, Stitzel JD, Gayzik S, Brownlee NA, Miller PM, Yoza BK, McCall CE, Meredith JW, Payne RM. The pathogenesis of pulmonary contusion: an open chest model in the rat. J Trauma, 61(1):32-44, 2006.
- Brownlee NA, Jones HL, Pettenati MJ. Classical and Molecular Cytogenetic Techniques and Their Use in the Pathologic Diagnosis of Tumors. J Histotechnology, 28(4): 209-215, 2005.
- Brownlee NA, Koty P, Garvin AJ, Pettenati MJ. Translocation t(10;17) in clear cell sarcoma of the kidney, Atlas of Genetics and Cytogenetics in Hematology and Oncology, http://www.infobiogen.fr/services/chromcancer/index.html, 2006.
- Brownlee NA, Koty P, Beaty MW, Pettenati MJ. Translocation t(11;17)(q23;p13): a rare cytogenetic abnormality in acute myeloid leukemia, Atlas of Genetics and Cytogenetic in Hematology and Oncology, http://www.infobiogen.fr/services/chromcancer/index.html, 2006.
- Brownlee NA, Koty P, Beaty MW, Pettenati MJ. Isochromosome 9 in Acute lymphoblastic leukemia, Atlas of Genetics and Cytogenetics in Hematology and Oncology, http://www.infobiogen.fr/services/chromcancer/index.html, 2006.
- Brownlee NA, Mahar A, Sporn TA. Multiple Pulmonary Nodules in a 37-year-old female (pathologic quiz case), Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, 129(5): 136-137, 2005.
- Brownlee NA, Mott RT, Mahar A, Roggli VL. Mucinous (Colloid) Adenocarcinoma of the Lung. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine 129(1): 121-2, 2005.
- Brownlee NA, Hazen-Martin DJ, Garvin AJ, and Re GG. Functional and Gene Expression Analysis of the p53 Signaling Pathway in Clear Cell Sarcoma of the Kidney and Congenital Mesoblastic Nephroma. Pediatric & Developmental Pathology 5: 257-268, 2002.
- Ma JX, Zhang D, Brownlee NA, Re GG, Hazen-Martin DJ, Redmond TM, and Crouch RK. Identification of RPE65 mRNA in Transformed Kidney Cells and Renal Tumor Cells. FEBS Letters 452: 199-204, 1999.
- Re GG, Hazen-Martin DJ, El-Bahtimi R, Brownlee NA, Willingham MC, and Garvin AJ. Prognostic Significance of Bcl-2 in Wilms’ Tumor and Oncogenic Potential of Bcl-XL in Rare Tumor Cases. International Journal of Cancer (Predictive Oncology) 84: 192-200, 1999.
- Rosson GB, Hazen-Martin DJ, Biegel JA, Willingham MC, Garvin AJ, Oswald BW, Wainwright L, Brownlee NA, Wright CF. Establishment and Molecular Characterization of Five Cell Lines Derived from Renal and Extrarenal Malignant Rhabdoid Tumors. Modern Pathology 11(12): 1228-1237, 1998.
- Re GG, Willingham MC, El Bahtimi R, Brownlee NA, Hazen-Martin DJ, Garvin AJ. Anaplasia and Drug-Selection Independent Overexpression of the Multidrug Resistance Gene, MDR-1, in Wilms’ Tumor. Modern Pathology 10(2): 129-136, 1997.
PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Diplomate of the American Board of Pathology, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology
South Carolina Medical Licensure
North Carolina Medical Licensure
Georgia Medical Licensure
Maryland Medical Licensure
INTERESTS AND HOBBIES
Medical Mission Work
Faculty Bio Links
Professor Alexandra Brandenburg
Dr. Noel Brownlee
Dr. Cathleen Ciesielski
Dr. W. Joshua Guffey
Professor Jordan Hairr
Professor Amy Maurer
Professor Kelcye Richards
Professor Kaye Rickman
Professor Allison Simon
Professor Becky Ulrich