Ken Baker, PhDProfessor, Physical Education
Unit: College of Humanities and Sciences, School of Health and Wellness, Physical Education
"The dogs may bark, but the caravan moves on"
Teaching & Education
- PhD, Physical Education, University of Georgia 1999
- MA, Health/Exercise Science, Furman University, 1993
Taught 8 years in public schools (1985-1993); Taught 3 years at Southern Wesleyan (1993-1996); Taught/studied at University of Georgia (1996-1999); Professor and Department Chairman at Gardner Webb (1999-20022); Came to NGU 2022.
- Baker, K. (2001). Promoting your physical education program. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, & Dance, 72 (2), 37-40.
- Baker, K. (1999). Keep the lesson routine. Golf Science International, 3, 8.
- Baker, K., Schempp, P., & Hardin, B. (1999). The routines and rituals of expert golf instructors. In Farrally, M.R. & Cochran, A.J. (Eds.), Science & Golf 3: Proceedings of the 3rd World Scientific Congress of Golf (271-281). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Baker, R.K. (1999). Physical education in the home school. Dissertation Abstracts International, 60 (05), 1497. (UMI No. 9928895)
- Chepyator-Thomson, J.R., Baker, K., You, J., Templeton, C., Spencer, M., & Schempp, P. (1998). Exemplary practices for teaching females and males in K-12 physical education: A synthesis of literature. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 69, (1, supplement) , A-86. (Abstract)
- Certificate of Excellence, Student Opinion of Instruction, Gardner-Webb University (2010)
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, The University of Georgia (1999)
- Teaching Assistant Merit Award, The University of Georgia (1997)
I am Ken Baker. I am a follower of Christ, and since 1995, I have been married to Diana, currently a teacher at Southside Christian School in Greenville.
We were blessed with three children (twin girls and a son), and I am a lifelong resident of the sovereign state of South Carolina. I was grateful for the opportunity to join the faculty at North Greenville University, beginning in Fall 2022.
Previous employers have included Gardner-Webb University (where I served as professor and department chair for 23 years), the University of Georgia, Southern Wesleyan University, the Pickens County School District, and Ridgecrest Baptist Conference Center. My undergraduate degree is in Social Studies (Central Wesleyan College), my Master’s is in Health and Exercise Science (Furman), and my PhD is in Physical Education (University of Georgia).
I pull for the Clemson Tigers, plant a garden every spring, and prefer going places in either my pick-up truck or my 1990 Miata. My heroes are my father, John Wayne, and Ronald Reagan.
I enjoy hiking, losing golf balls, and piddling in my workshop. I am a sinner saved by grace, and I am immensely grateful for my many blessings.