The History of NGU
On October 14, 1891, at the fourth annual meeting of the North Greenville Baptist Association, a momentous decision was made. A committee of nine men was appointed to determine the best location for establishing a high school in the northern region of Greenville County. The recommendation to create the committee came in response to a suggestion made at an earlier associational meeting by John Ballenger of the Tigerville community. He asked that the association consider the possibility of providing educational opportunities for mountain area students as there were only three high schools in the entire county at that time.