Student Accessibility

divider image

Student Accessibility and Americans with Disabilities Act(ADA) Services is part of the Office of Academic Administration and partners with the Center for Student Success and the Office of Campus Ministries and Student Engagement to help fulfill the University’s responsibility to identify and maintain standards that are fundamental to providing a quality academic program while ensuring the rights of individuals with disabilities. A disability is recognized as an impairment that substantially limits one or more major student life activities: academic, physical, living, emotional, or mental. Students with a diagnosed disability may be entitled to accommodations under the ADA. Even with accommodations, students are required to meet all course and program requirements.

What Are Typical Accommodations?

Typical accommodations include:

  • Extended time on tests
  • Reduced distraction environment for tests
  • Availability of text to speech testing
  • Others according to individual need

Dietary Accommodations

In partnership with Aramark Food Services, NGU provides daily gluten-free and dairy-free options as standard dietary accommodations in Todd Dining Hall for students with food allergies and sensitivities. Students with documented medically diagnosed nutrition-related disabilities who request additional dietary or dining accommodations can complete the Request for Accommodations form. If a request for a meal plan accommodations exemption is not made at least 4 weeks prior to the start of the semester, the student may be required to pay for the meal plan, and if the exemption is subsequently granted, a partial refund may be given.

How Do I Get Accommodations?

  1. Submit a Request for Accommodations form.
  2. Submit professional documentation verifying the need for requested accommodations
  3. Have an in-take interview with Dr. Brad Gregory, scheduling via or 864.977.2022
  4. Receive confirmation of accommodations from the Office of Student Accessibility

It is important to note that accommodations are not retroactive and are not considered active until formally approved by the Director of Student Accessibility & ADA Services. Please keep this in mind when requesting accommodations, as the application date itself is not the date when accommodations, if subsequently approved, become active for a student.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Accommodations

    How long will it take to receive accommodations?

    Students should expect a minimum of two (2) weeks after the documentation has been received and the intake interview has been held.

    Where do I go for services?

    Contact the Office of Student Accessibility at

    What is the process for scheduling a test?

    The testing center is reserved for students with testing accommodations.

    1. Alert the professor at least two days in advance that you will be testing in the testing center
    2. Schedule each test via Schedulicity with a minimum of 6 hours prior to the test.
    3. Test at the same time as the test is scheduled for the class unless a class is scheduled when you could not receive your extended time. In this event, the test must be taken within 24 hours with the professor’s approval.

    What should I know about the intake meeting?

    The student should be prepared to discuss their (1) history of accommodations and (2) the impact of their disability in the academic environment. This information with the documentation will serve to determine reasonable accommodations for the student. Because each student and disability are unique, appropriate accommodations will not be determined before appropriate documentation is received and the intake meeting is held.

    Am I going to receive the same accommodations that I received in high school?

    Accommodations depend on the documentation, the functional limitations/impact of the disability on a major life activity, and professional recommendations.

    How far in advance should I request a meeting with the Office of Student Accessibility?

    You may begin this process in your senior year in high school. After being accepted by NGU, you should begin the process at least four to six weeks before the semester begins to help ensure that your accommodations are in place at the beginning of classes. Accommodations are not retroactive.

    Does NGU accept the same accommodations given to me by another higher education institution?

    The criteria for receiving accommodations at NGU are based on appropriate documentation verifying a student’s needs for accommodations. Also, accommodations provided at one institution do not obligate another institution to accommodate or accommodate in the same way.

    After registering with the Office of Student Accessibility, am I automatically registered for as long as I am enrolled?

    Students are required to request accommodation services each semester.

  • Documentation

    What kind of required documentation is appropriate?

    The student should submit documentation by a licensed health provider (physician, psychologist, psychiatrist, or counselor). Documentation must:

    • Establish that the student has a disability
    • Provide a rationale for authorizing reasonable accommodations
    • Recommend appropriate accommodations. The purpose of accommodations is to allow equal access for the student with a disability. Documentation written on prescription pads is not accepted. Documentation should be current within 3-5 years depending upon the stability of the disability.

    What happens if my documentation is not appropriate?

    You will be required to provide appropriate documentation at your own expense. It is not the institution’s responsibility to identify or assess individuals with disabilities.

    Where would I obtain appropriate documentation for college?

    Appropriate documentation depends on the type of disability; for medical conditions, a medical doctor; for psychiatric conditions, a psychiatrist, therapist, clinical psychologist, or social worker; for specific learning disabilities, a clinical neuropsychologist or psycho-educational evaluation is appropriate from a school psychologist.

    Is my Individualized Education Program (IEP) appropriate documentation?

    An IEP is a document that is developed to assist special education students in a K-12 public school setting. The information it contains may be insufficient for the higher education setting.

    Does NGU offer diagnostic testing?

    NGU does not offer diagnostic testing for disabilities. Students are responsible for scheduling and payment for this evaluation. Referrals for testing in the Greenville area are available through the Office of Student Accessibility.

  • Services

    Are there special education programs at NGU designed for students with disabilities?

    No. The institution provides reasonable accommodations to allow equal access in accordance with the law. Individuals must meet the technical and academic standards of the institution, program, or course of study.

    Transitional courses are offered in reading, writing, and math to help students function at the secondary education level.

    What is the process for scheduling a test in the Testing Center?

    Tests can be scheduled through our Schedulicity site.

    • Choose the appropriate testing center option (desk, room number)
    • Select the day and time of your test
    • BEFORE booking your visit, click “add a message” to name your professor and course designation
    • Choose Book Visit
    • Confirm/create your account
    • View confirmation of your test schedule
    • Cancel if you are unable to make your appointment by going back to scheduling

    (Due to limited space, private testing rooms are only available for designated testers)

    Is NGU responsible for providing a tutor?

    NGU provides peer tutoring services to all students located on the main campus at no charge. It is the responsibility of the student to request tutoring each semester.

    Will NGU assist me with my medication, wake-up calls, or other personal services?

    No, NGU does not provide such services.

    Can my parents or advisor automatically register me in the courses that I need? 

    Students are responsible for self-registering after meeting with their advisors.

    Can admission and/or graduation requirements be altered/flexible due to my disability? 

    Established requirements—admission, graduation, courses(s), GPA, code of conduct, etc. are the same for all students.

    Do colleges provide reduced tuition, fee waivers and help with the cost of books for students with disabilities?

    No. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office or SC Vocational Rehabilitation.

    Will I be provided with whatever accommodations I say that I need?

    Accommodations are based on disability documentation and substantial limitation of the disability. Consideration is given to individual needs, but it is the institution’s decision to accommodate as long as the accommodation can be shown to be equally effective without change to essential elements.

    Will any absences be automatically excused if it is disability-related?

    Absences may not negatively affect a student’s grade on the basis of attendance if the absence is directly related to a chronic disability. Absences in courses in which attendance is deemed “essential” (e.g. discussion class, lab, student teaching, etc.) are subject to the attendance policy that North Greenville University has set in place. In any case, the student is still responsible for course requirements. Students with modified attendance accommodations must notify both the professor and the Office of Student Accessibility of an absence that is directly related to the accommodation to avoid an unexcused absence.

    Can I redo assignments and retake tests for better results?

    It is expected that students with disabilities will meet the deadlines, complete assignments, and take exams at the scheduled time. Poor performance, even with accommodations, is no grounds for a retake/redo, shorter assignments/tests, extended time on assignments, or extra credit.

    Can all the previous exams/assignments/grades be changed after accommodations are requested?

    The obligation to provide accommodations begins at the point at which all documentation has been reviewed and an intake interview is held. Reasonable notice is required from the student for accommodations to be enacted.

    Will my professors give me notes, outlines, study guides, an open book on a practice exam, or hints/prompts when taking tests?

    Notes and exams are taken with the same expectations of other students in the class.

    Can my parents arrange for regular progress reports?

    FERPA (Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act) requires strict confidentiality of student information. NGU requires a release of information to share records and/or information with anyone other than the student, including parents. This focus is important in that the student is expected to be responsible and accountable for his/her business. NGU students have access to their grades through the student portal and access to professors via posted office hours. Parents will not be notified of a student’s progress.

    Will NGU create an independent study program or allow me to take classes at home?

    While some courses are offered online, creating another version of a course offered on-campus is a change in the essential elements of that course and is not required of the university.

    Can I choose my ASL interpreter?

    NGU will provide, and arrange for, qualified interpreters. The request for an interpreter requires a minimum of three (3) full work days’ notice/cancellation for face-to-face courses and a minimum of four (4) workdays for online courses.

© North Greenville University. All Rights Reserved. | Accessibility Statement

North Greenville University (NGU) admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.